Saturday, March 17, 2007

A socio-anthropological observation

The above is an adorable diagram for pragmatism I found in an article "Signs, Processes, and Language Games Foundations for Ontology" by John F. Sowa.

It has been interesting to note recently, as I have become a topic of many conversations, which I had no privy to, that the social and cultural practices observable to me, dictate that I may be labeled, my identity re-molded and histories rewritten ( a back-formation if you will) to uphold the new synthetic identity.
It makes one wonder about certain cultural or societal practices and identity...or rather perceived and (purportedly decided by committee) identity. I'm all for the notion that one builds their own identity vis-a-vis 'the other', but this seems the exact opposite. Judith Butler would certainly have something interesting to say about it, but as yet I do not have a wide enough data set to bring such a thesis to her attention. Its slowly amassing, however, alarming and bizzare as it may be.
At first I was appalled by it, but as with most things, I find that the evidence illustrates something that should be investigated further, even though the experiment is less than appetizing, there is a pattern here. I think it may reflect on the mass media situation we have found ourselves living in, in modern America, but maybe this is too snap a judgment - definitely, however, I can see that this pattern would have a peculiar effect on the essential indexical: more thought as the data set evolves.

1 Comments:

Blogger Arete said...

The data set is not going to evolve, unfortunately, kurts emails about the tribunal meetings described were patently false.
no meetings took place.
it was just designed to try to hurt me I guess.

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home